In July 2020 the Standing Committee for Gender Equality was established to promote gender equality in science by supporting women and girls’ equal access to science education and fostering equal opportunity and treatment for females in their careers.
The Founding Partners consist of the following international organizations:
- International Astronomical Union (IAU) with its Women in Astronomy Working Group (WAWG)
- International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM)
- International Mathematical Union (IMU) with its Committee for Women in Mathematics (CMW)
- International Union of Biological Sciences (IUBS)
- International Union of History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (IUHPST)
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)
- International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) with its Women in Physics Working Group (WiP)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) with ACMs Women in Computing (ACM-W)
- Gender in science, innovation, technology and engineering (GenderInSITE)
Further international organizations may join as partners with the approval of SCGES.
The Standing Committee for Gender Equality in Science:
- Helps partners to promote gender equality within their organizations, and in particular
- Follows the progress of the implementation by partners of the recommendations of the Gender Gap in Science Project;
- Approves proposals for new partners to join SCGES;
- Endorses projects and initiatives to promote gender equality in science proposed to it by partners;
- Facilitates communication among partners, among other things by developing and maintaining a website.